Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Fourth Week Reflection February 23-March 2

WOW, what a week this has been. On Monday I had my security class and it was very informative but I did almost fall asleep a couple times. The presenter came in and told us about his position with the Disney Company. In his position, he deals with protecting VIP guests, along with the use of nature, in order to help in the security of Disney World. He talked about what Disney security can do, legally, in order to help in the security of celebrities or any “high security” guests. After this class, I went out to catch the bus back my apartment. This is where I stayed until Wednesday morning.
 Tuesday, all I did was relax in my apartment and rest up for the days to come. I knew that the rest of the week was going to be difficult because starting Friday, I would be having to start a full board of 16 rooms.
Wednesday, I went back to work and Mr. Ron was not there. I was supposed to have a board, of rooms, of 14 rooms but I only ended up having 11. This made it a bit more difficult, for me, going from one day of 11 to 14 rooms on Thursday and 16 rooms on Friday.
            Wednesday was an easy day for me and I only had 4 checkouts and 7 occupied rooms. One of my checkouts was awesome. Despite all of the garbage and linens, they left me a $20 tip and lots of goodies. Among these “goodies” were 5 large decorated boxes. There was one for Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, and Goofy. I knew that I could not get all of my stuff home on the bus, so I called my roommate DM, who had the day off, and asked her if she could come pick me up. By the time I was done, it was only 3:30 pm, so I went down to help DF with her rooms. We got done around 4:25 pm and went to the office, to make sure that all of our rooms had been punched for the day. Unfortunately, I forgot to punch one of my rooms so, I ran back to the room and it turned out that I had completely forgotten to service the room. I sprinted back up to the office, and asked DF if she could help me and she said yes. We hurried to get the room done. Carrying all of my “goodies” from that day was a lot of work and I was just grateful that these two girls helped me out and we ended up giving DF a ride home. After we dropped DF off, DM asked me if I wanted to go to the movies, in Downtown Disney, and watch “The Duff”. I had been wanting to see the movie so, we went back to the apartment to change and headed out to the movie. We parked and went to the AMC Theater, where we watched the movie. After the movie, we went out to walk around Downtown Disney because I had not been there yet. It was absolutely beautiful! Lights everywhere, music, fresh food, etc... We did not go shopping or anything but just hung out and enjoyed the views and happiness of all the guests.
            Thursday was a great day until the end. I had 14 rooms and started getting myself prepared for my 16 rooms the next day.
Finally, Friday came and I had my full board. DFwas not there, so I know that I had to get done on time; otherwise, no one else would have helped me. Luckily, I got all of my rooms done on time. After work, DM picked me up after she got off of work and we went back to the apartment to change. We knew that we did not just want to sit in, so we decided to go Magic Kingdom! We got into the car and went back to the Contemporary, where I work, in order to park. This is because when not on the job, cast members have to take the monorail to go to the parks. Also, after parking in the guest parking lot last time, we had to take a car to the parking lot, then, from the parking lot you have to take the tram to the tickets center. Finally, you have to take either a boat or monorail to the park.
We decided just parking and getting on the monorail, at the Contemporary, would be easier. While at the park, DF contacted me, saying she was there too. We ended up meeting up and going on a couple rides including, the teacups, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. We split up and DM and I decided to go home on the monorail. While on the monorail, the firework show was happening and it was very beautiful. We got back to the Contemporary right when the water light parade started, so went down to the pier to watch. On the way, Peter Pan walked up behind DM and started walking, as if he was her shadow. He too was going down to the pier. I set my bag down on one of the benches while I was watching Peter Pan great the boats that were sailing in. I walked away to go take a picture on one of the water crafts and walked to the car, just to realize, I forgot my bag. We got into the car and not 5 minutes after I had put it down, I sprinted back to the pier and my bag was gone. I went to the front desk and filled out a report. I called my mother and she was worried beyond belief. I had just bought hers and my Fathers tickets, worth over $700! I called and cancelled one debit card while my mother cancelled the other. Because my work ID and housing ID were in the bag, amongst other important IDs and my phone, I had to call out from work.
Saturday was what DM and I like to call our good bad day. Because I called out from work, I was sleeping on the couch in the living room, because my roommate made me feel unsafe, when all of the sudden I hear someone crying. I woke up to find DM in tears. I asked her what happened and she explained to me that while doing laundry, she fell down the stairs. It was raining very hard and DM had on flip flops, which caused the initial fall. She called the front desk and they sent over security. DM filed an injury report and we went back to the apartment to relax. I called the Contemporary to see if there was any news on my bag and they transferred me back to their lost and found. The lost and found reported nothing and transferred me to the overall park lost and found. I asked them about my bag and they reported that they had my bag. We went to the lost and found, which was next to the ticket and transportation, and got my bag. Everything was in it and I could not have been more relieved. After going to get my bag, we decided to go to Walmart and get dinner. Since my debit cards were deactivated, DM bought dinner and I cooked it. We made breakfast for dinner which included eggs, pancakes, sausage, and breakfast potatoes. After dinner, we hung out and then went to sleep, awaiting Sunday, the big checkout day.
I woke up Sunday and went to work. I had 16 rooms again which, consisted of 5 checkouts and 11 occupied rooms. I got done around 3 o’clock, and decided I had earned a lunch break. At 3:30, I went up to the office to turn my board in, just to find that 2 of my rooms were not punched because the phones did not work. I went back to the rooms and punch out and then headed down to help DF with her last 2 rooms. After we finished, DF needed to talk to our manager, Ron. She explained that she did not think that she could do the job because her rooms, and I completely agree, are always really dirty compared to other peoples’ rooms. She also talked about how she had been holding off about talking about her knee she injured while working. Ron told her that she was doing great work and that she was going to be okay with working in housekeeping. He also told her that she needed to go to the doctor about her knee and report back to him. He is an amazing manager and I love that he actually cares about the housekeepers and their concerns.

After work, again, DM picked me up and we expressed out anger about one of our roommates and how she wanted to go talk to her about some of the issues that she was having with her. After speaking with her, DM was very upset and I decided that it was my turn to do something. I had not felt safe in my room and felt personally attacked due to statements on social media. This led me to file a report with the security office, simply stating how I felt. After filing the report, I was very upset and just needed to go and relax. DM and I went to Disney’s Boardwalk and it was so relieving. We walked around the lake, with the wonderful smell of food, music, and a calm pond. We went over to in front of the Yacht and Beach club, where I sat on wooden swing and just swung. This gave me time to think about what I want out of this experience. I have missed everyone back home so much, and all I want to do is hug them but I told myself that, this program will be whatever I make out of it. I got up and we took a boat back to the entrance, where we got a pizza. After we ate we went back home and I slept on the floor in DM and TV's room, until the next day; awaiting what would come out of my report… 

No comments:

Post a Comment