Sunday, April 19, 2015

8th week reflection

     This week was more mentally challenging then physical. Monday, class was cancelled because this week and the next are very busy, due to Easter and spring break occurring at the same time. In class the last week, the instructor said that most Cast members will be working anywhere from 45-60 hours a week, due to extra magic hours as late as 3 AM! Sunday, the day before, was a hard day, like all Sundays, so I took advantage of not having class and slept in. Like all Mondays, I sat around and watched TV and relaxed until DM got home. I asked her if she wanted to go out to Carrabba’s Italian Grill for dinner and she said she would love too. She changed out of her space outfit and we were off. When we got into the car, I called the restaurant and got our name on the list, they said there would not be a wait. When we arrived, they told us that there were two different locations, one on AVE and one on BLVD. We happened to call the wrong one but she said there would only be a 25 minute wait. We waited and were seated pretty quickly after. On the menu, DM could not believe it! Ever since I got here, on February 2nd, I had been looking for an Italian soda because DM had never even had one. She looked at the menu and to her surprise, an Italian soda! We originally thought that Carrabba’s was a Mexican grill and I happen to not be a very big fan of Mexican food, so we had never gone there. After telling the waiter that I had been looking for Italian Sodas everywhere, he replied “why didn’t you just think to come to the Italian grill”. We told him that we thought it was a Mexican grill till I saw it on TV that day and he said “well that makes sense”.  We got our food and it was delicious and not too pricey either.
     Tuesday, I had to deal with some financial business. For my first semester this year, I lived at the Grove apartments in Pullman. Before leaving, I sub-leased my apartment and was supposed to get a $330 refund from my last month’s rent minus the $250 fee from sub-leasing my apartment. I had been relying on this large sum of money starting mid- January. They said that the latest I would receive the money would be mid-February and still, nothing. I had spoken with the manager at the Pullman location and she worked very hard to at me my refund. I had yet to see anything 3 weeks later so I called the headquarters, on this Tuesday to complain. The woman in the accounting section of the company asked what I needed. I explained that I had been waiting since mid- January for my refund and she said that it had just hit her desk that day! I was absolutely livid, I could feel myself becoming extremely enraged and I kept calm as much as I could. I asked when I would receive the check and she said anywhere from 3-5 business days. I asked if there was any way I could pay extra for them to ship it over night because I had a large sum of money I had to pay in 2 days. She said that given the circumstance, she could ask what she could do and call me back later. I agreed but was annoyed by the whole situation. Less than 45 minutes later, I received a call back from the lady. She apologized for the entire situation and said the check was in the mail and was being sent overnight through FEDEX at no charge. I was extremely grateful and appreciative of this woman’s kind actions.
     Wednesday I felt really sick at work and we had a “town hall” at our break out which, was said to last one hour. When the “town hall” started, I could see that it was going to be a long day… for some reason, they felt the need to translate every single word into both Spanish and Creole. They would say a sentence in English, then in Creole, and finally in Spanish. The meeting could have taken only 20 minutes without the translating and we had work to do; 16 rooms were not going to clean themselves. I was so nervous about the package coming to my apartment that I started to feel like I was going to vomit.
     After the meeting, I went to go clean my rooms. Due to the long meeting, they only gave us 13 rooms. I started to clean and went into the restroom, just to vomit into the toilet. I called the manager and she said she would come and see if I was okay. I finished my first checkout and an occupied, then moved into my second checkout. By this point, I had vomited 3 times and told my manager I had to go home. 
     I got home 5 minutes before the man came with the check! I was so relieved that I already started to feel better but still laid down to rest for the rest of the day.
     The rest of the week seemed to drag on but it was just like any other week. Saturday, I dealt with a very difficult guest who, I am pretty sure was just looking for free stuff from Disney. Side note: by working for Disney, I have learned that the more you complain, the more you get. Anyways, this particular man was extremely rude to me, for something I could not even control.

     I was doing an occupied room and a family walked by and asked where room 6111 was. I told them that if they continued forward and turned left, it would be on their left hand side. They were very kind and thanked me for my assistance. A half hour later, I went down by their room to service another room that had requested later service, and they were still there. The man started to yell at me about how they had been waiting there for someone from the front desk to let them in their room because their magic bands would not work. I replied that I would be more than happy to help them get into their room but I would have to call the front desk to confirm they were at the correct room. I called the front desk and they confirmed the guests name and said I could let the family in. They also said that they would be sending someone out to the room for them to get a key to get into the rooms. I explained to the family that sometimes, if the front desk types in one wrong number, none of the bands work. The man thanked me but then started to yell at me once again saying that this ruined their whole vacation and he thought their family deserved free meals and a free room up grade. I told him that unfortunately, I could not do anything but I was more than happy to let them into their room at any time until I went home. I went into another room and serviced it. When I came out, the front desk woman was with the man, explaining what they could do for the family. He was very nice to her but after she left, he started yelling at me again! I smiled and said front desk would be the only people that could assist him any further, and he walked away. I had a couple rooms left but finished on time, somehow. I went home and slept like a baby, awaiting a busy Sunday ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment